Volunteers make significant contributions to the Farnsworth Art Museum's many programs and public services. Over 200 volunteers provide more than 10,000 hours of service annually. Volunteer opportunities are many and multi-faceted. As the museum expands, volunteers will play an ever-increasing role in the quality of the visitor experience and in the ability of the museum to continue its dedication to celebrating Maine’s role in American art, through it’s collection, exhibitions and educational programming.
Potential volunteers may download an application or call 207-96-6457, ext. 103 for an appointment. Volunteer opportunities are arranged according to the interests and skills of the volunteer and the needs of the museum.
Some typical volunteer opportunities are found in the following roles:
- Information specialists--greet and assist visitors with information about the museum and the surrounding geographic area
- Membership specialists--greet visitors and offer information about the benefits of becoming a member.
- Docents--conduct tours of the museum exhibits for adults and children
- Historic sites interpreters--greet visitors and provide information and/or tours of the museum's two historic sites, the Farnsworth Homestead and the Olson House
- Librarians--assist the public with research questions and maintain the museum's art library
- Curatorial specialists--assist the curatorial staff in maintaining collection records and files
- Museum store specialists--assist museum store staff in operation of the retail store and its sales
- Hospitality Committee members--organize and host special events, including providing refreshments for exhibition openings
- Special events persons--assist in planning and implementation of special events sponsored by the museum
- Flower Committee members--provide fresh flower arrangements for the museum during the growing season and for special events
- Garden Committee members--maintain and care for the Victorian garden adjacent to the Farnsworth Homestead
- Mailing Committee members--assist in large museum mailings
- Education--assist education staff with implementation of educational programs