March 24, 2012 – December 09, 2012
When the Farnsworth family moved in 1850 from Thomaston to their new home in Rockland, the move signified an embrace of period art and design in the interior of what has become known as the Farnsworth Homestead. The house was situated right in the heart of the newly formed village of Rockland, a block from the town’s main thoroughfare, two blocks from a bustling harbor and surrounded by other buildings of equally recent design and construction.
The design of an urban contemporary house is the underlying concept behind the Homestead Project, on display in the Farnsworth’s Crosman Gallery. The ten architectural and architectural design firms participating have been asked to present their designs for a theorectical house on the same lot as the existing Homestead, one that would meet the needs of an imaginary twenty-first century Farnsworth family.
The participating architects & architectural designers are:
- Eric Allyn of Houses & Cottages, Rockland, Maine;
- Alex Anmahian and Nick Winton of Anmahian Winton Architects, Cambridge, Massachusetts;
- Christopher Campbell of Christopher Campbell Architecture, Portland, Maine;
- Henry N. Cobb of Pei Cobb Freed & Partners, New York, New York;
- Bruce Norelius of Bruce Norelius Studio of Los Angeles, California;
- Susan Rodriguez of Ennead Architects LLP, New York, New York;
- Julio Salcedo of scalar Architecture, New York, New York;
- Henry Smith-Miller and Laurie Hawkinson of Smith-Miller + Hawkinson Architects, LLP, New York, New York;
- Steven Theodore and Wiebke Theodore of Theodore + Theodore Architects, Arrowsic, Maine;
- John B. Tittmann of Albert, Righter & Tittmann Architects, Boston, Massachusetts.
The Homestead Project is made possible in part thanks to the generous support of
A.E. Sampson & Son, Anonymous, Bench Dogs, Inc., Cold Mountain Builders, J.C. Stone Inc., Marvin Windows and Doors, Thos. Moser Fine Furniture, Tidewater Millwork, and Windsor Chairmakers.
The primary media sponsor of the Homestead Project is Maine Home + Design.
To view or purchase the exhibition catalogue, click on the icon below.
(image Aerial view looking east. Design by architect Susan T. Rodriguez and design team members Jessica Bello, Rebecca Dion, and Joerg Kiesow of Ennead Architects is ©Aislinn Weidele/Ennead Architects.
Architect Henry N. Cobb with drawings by Will Garris, both of Pei Cobb Freed & Partners in New York, New York, with model by Studio Associates. Photo by Jock Pottle)